Translate

Monday 25 March 2019

Proverbs 15:1




This verse  has made a big difference to me and how I respond to people. I notice that in our modern day society it seems that people are unable to take responsibility for their own actions and are quick to go on the defensive. If only everyone kept to this verse then our society would be a much more pleasant and calm one, where matters were dealt with and addressed in a responsible way.

I have had periods of my life where I have been quick to go on the defensive and not take responsibility, getting worked up when someone has highlighted an issue and then this response causes them to get annoyed. A few years ago our small fellowship started reading through Proverbs each Lord's day and we came across this verse. This was a stand out verse to all of us and is something that we attempt to keep to.

How strange that it seems it is easier to react in an abrupt or selfish manner than to take a moment to consider the impact of our response. The majority of arguments that I have been involved in can be put down to not thinking about how I answer. How so many arguments could have been avoided just by simply remembering Proverbs 15:1.  

I now often find myself saying this verse over and over in my head when I want to react defensively and I have noticed that Lance to has made every effort here as well.

The Lord is so amazing to us that even just by responding in a soft and loving way can actually deflect confrontation and help us to be wise in our response, rather than reactive. The Lord reminds us later through the book of James he supports this view of taking care on what we say. This shows how consistent the bible is throughout and how we should behave. The Old testament works beautifully with the New.



Writing this article actually reminds me of what an important verse this is and how a few wise words from Solomon & James given to them by the Lord can make all the difference to our quality of life and harmony with others.  Proverbs 15:1 does not mean you have to be a "door mat" or stand up for what is right but to be more considerate about the words that come out of your mouth.  

I am thankful to the Lord that  he has guided me through this verse and it has helped me to try and be a less defensive and more considered in my responses in my biblical walk. Through God's strength he has helped me and when I fall down he picks me up. 

No comments:

Post a Comment